Planning Matters

The laws governing planning are very complex and Planning Consent is required before most forms of development can be legally undertaken.

Development is defined in The Town and Country Planning Act, 1990 as:
“the carrying out of building, engineering, mining or other operations in, on, over or under land, or the making of any material change in the use of any buildings or other land.”

East Devon District Council manage our local development planning services and they are responsible for planning approvals. Their main offices are located in Honiton.

East Devon District Council
Blackdown House,
Border Road,
Heathpark Industrial Estate,
EX14 1EJ
Tel: 01404 515616

They provide guidance and advice (including booklets) on all aspects  of planning. You can even submit your application online. You can get more information on all their planning services if you go directly to their planning site with a click here.

However, here are the details and contacts for a quick access to the most used of their planning services:

Planning Applications (advice on potential applications) (01395) 517475 Enquiries about submitting a planning application.  Click here for advice about submitting a planning application. If you’re ringing about an application that’s already been submitted or a historic planning decision, please use the contact details immediately below this.
Planning Applications (updates and historic) (01395) 517475 Enquiries about planning applications that have already been submitted.  Also advice on historic planning history on a site. You can find out about progress and historic applications on this website by using our Planning Online system.
Planning Conservation Areas (01395) 517475 Listed Buildings and Listed Buildings in Conservation Areas
Planning Enforcement (01395) 517536 Complaints and enquiries about building work, advertisements, fly posting, illegal campsites, unauthorised works to a Listed Building, or unauthorised works to a tree that’s got a Tree Preservation Order on it.  Click here for planning enforcement web pages.

There is a helpful interactive guidance for common household planning projects (a virtual house!). It tries to answer the question ‘ do I need permission if I want to……?’ (e.g. install solar panels, or new windows or a garage etc.). To see this portal, please click here

Local Planning Applications

Recent planning applications for the parish of Awliscombe can be accessed through the Parish Council section on this website.